The question of whether SEO or PPC is better will always, for me, be unanswerable. The answer often depends on your company, your goals and your budget.
The key difference between SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) and PPC (Pay Per Click) is simply that one is paid and one isn’t. Also, PPC ads always appear above the organic SEO results. When used together, SEO and PPC marketing increases awareness and visibility of your product or service.
Here are a few pros and cons of each type of marketing.
Pros of SEO:
- It’s Free! – Unlike PPC, SEO is totally free meaning smaller companies or businesses with a small budget don’t have to waste money on paid search but can still rank high on the Google search results page.
- Builds Credibility – ranking high on google gives the impression to consumers that your brand is the best of the best. Having shining 5 star reviews will also boost customers trusting your business.
- Sustainable – Where PPC stops working as soon as you stop paying, SEO keeps going once you’ve spent time working on the relevant keywords and making sure your website content is perfect.
Despite SEO being super cost-effective and sustainable, sometimes SEO can go wrong. If it becomes too successful, a company may find it has too much work that they can’t handle. That’s where PPC comes out on top. When a business feels they can’t cope with any more leads, the paid search ads can simply be paused.
Pros of PPC:
- Top Dog – PPC ads always come at the top of the Google Search page meaning they’re always the first to be seen. This means that consumers are more likely to click an paid search ad rather than scrolling down the Google results page.
- Super Specific Targeting – PPC ads are brilliant for targeting very specific groups of people because a business can choose what location the ad is shown in plus factors such as the language, day of the week and what type of device their ad shows on. This means companies always target the audience demographic they want.
- Speed – PPC campaigns, once created can be saved for however long a person likes before they go ‘live’ meaning if a company has a specific date they want to start their paid search ads, the adverts can be created days, even weeks, in advance so that it only takes a click of button on ‘launch day’.
However, like with SEO, PPC has its downfalls. The most problematic being the expense it can cause. When managed incorrectly and with little experience, PPC ads can swallow a company’s budget and waste lots of money.
That’s why agencies like Repeat Digital are here to manage PPC accounts for other companies to ensure they spend their budget carefully and effectively to ensure success!